Making a plan for our customers since 1934
With origins in South Africa, we have worked alongside our clients, from small companies to some of the world’s biggest, to create solutions to their particular magnetite challenges since the 1930s.
Martin and Robson was founded by Frank Martin in 1934, joining the Sturrock and Robson Group in 1948. We operated from a milling and storage facility at Gravelotte, Northern Transvaal and a loading facility at the Selati River in South Africa.
South African expansion
To bring us closer to customers in the main South African coal mining areas, we decided to look for a more strategically placed base. A site was identified at Broodsnyersplass (BNP), Mpumalanga, at the head of what was known as “the coal line” near Middelburg in South Africa. BNP still serves as our main South African operational site today.
With increasing demand from customers in Australia, we decided to set-up base at a mill in the strategic harbour town of Mackay. February 2008 marked the date of our first sales to our Australian customers, as the first shipment of 28,000 tons of magnetite arrived at the port of Mackay.
In collaboration with the coal industry, an investment was made in a milling plant at our South African base of Broodsnyersplaas, to ensure security of magnetite supply. The mill has enabled us to consistently produce whichever specification is required by our customers, and mitigate against disruptions to supply – even through crises.
To support our Australian operations, we opened an office in sunny Brisbane. This now serves as the main home for our Australian GM and her team.
A global team
Our team has been ever-evolving to handle the global landscape of our business. 24/7 support to our customers is key for us, so we now have an international team based out of Australia, Mauritius, and South Africa.